Assam: Man digs up 14-year-old girl’s dead body, tries to have sex with it

Published on

Real journalism holds the hills accountable.

Since 2020, Ukhrul Times has reported without fear or favour. Support us to keep going.

Contribute Now

Assam police have arrested a 50-year-old man for attempting to have sex with the body of a 14-year-old girl. The child had died under mysterious circumstances a few days ago after which family members had buried her body along the Simen River.

The appalling incident took place under the limits of Silapathar police station in Assam’s Dhemaji district.

According to reports, the minor died on the night of May 17 and was buried on the banks of Simen River at Demgaon.

It was on the afternoon of May 18 that a group of local fishermen saw a person attempting to rape the girl’s dead body. They caught hold of the man and handed him over to the police.

He was later identified as one Akan Saikia. The accused told police officers that he dug up the grave and took the girl’s body out with the intention of having sex with it.

Police arrested Saikia and registered a case against him at Silapathar police station under sections 306 and 377 of the IPC and Section 8 of the POCSO Act, Dhemaji district Superintendent of Police (SP) Dhananjay Ghanawat told India Today over the phone.

Dhemaji Deputy Superintendent of Police (Headquarter) Pradip Konwar said Saikia was released from jail recently following court directives to release prisoners in light of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

“The accused does not appear to be suffering from a mental disorder. Earlier in 2018, his wife had lodged an FIR that led to his arrest. A case was registered against him under Section 498 (A) of IPC on the basis of his wife’s complaint. He was absconding and police arrested him in September 2019 and he was jailed by a court,” added DSP Pradip Konwar.

DSP Konwar also mentioned rumours among locals that sexual harassment by Saikia had driven the minor girl to suicide. He further added, “Our investigation is going on. The court had sent the accused person to jail.”

Latest articles

Chandel: Career Counselling cum Felicitation Program Held

CHANDEL May 23: Japhou Youth Club (JYC) organized a Career Counselling and Felicitation Programme...

NNC/FGN Says Attacks on Nagas Will Not Go Unanswered

UKHRUL, May 23: The NNC/FGN has condemned the recent violence in "Southern Nagaland," saying...

UBCC Manipur: ‘Let us not become weary in doing good’

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1)May 3,...

TYF Supports NVG-NC Ultimatum Amid Reports of Fresh Firing Incidents

UKHRUL: The Tahamzam Youth Forum (TYF) has reiterated its unequivocal support and solidarity with...

More like this

Kangpokpi: Massive Solidarity Protest Demands Release of 6 Naga Hostages

Kangpokpi: Hundreds gathered at Namdilong, Kanglatongbi, for a solidarity protest demanding the release of...

‘Rebuild Our Homes’: GoM Accused of Inaction After May 7 Indo-Myanmar Border Attack

UKHRUL: Following the attack on Naga villages along the Indo-Myanmar border by suspected Myanmar-based...

Video of Kuki Woman Allegedly Instructing Mass Reporting of Ukhrul Times Instagram Page Circulates

UKHRUL: A video is circulating on WhatsApp showing step-by-step instructions by a woman in...