Hopingson A Shimray, President of the Tangkhul Naga Long (TNL) has resigned from the post. He put in his resignation papers on August 31, with already plans in motion to contest the upcoming Manipur state general election in 2022 from 43-Phungyar Assembly Constituency.
Hopinson Shimray from Maru village, succeeded P. Peimi on November 8, 2018 as the 40th President of TNL.
Speaking to Ukhrul Times, Hopingson Shimray’s close aid pronounced his plans for the upcoming Manipur state general election in 2022. His aid said that he will work for “inclusive development” and overall upliftment and empowerment for an inclusive and progressive development of the people in the constituency. His focus will be on orchard farming, floriculture etc.
Hopingson Shimray has social and compassionate heart apart from his bureaucrat and social service experiences, and that he has endured hardships for the cause of Naga political issue, said an aid close to him.
His aid also told Ukhrul Times that official approval from TNL on Hopingson’s resignation will take some time. However, from his side resignation letter has been submitted.
A resignation letter of such nature in TNL would set the vice president in motion in convening executive body meeting within 10 days. According to TNL Constitution, under such exigency, decision of the executive body is forwarded to Assembly Speaker in order to conduct emergency assembly. Re-election for a President has to be conducted within three months of the incumbent’s premature resignation.
Hopingson Shimray has not officially announced his party affiliation with any political party at the moment. However, as per highly placed source and speculation, he is likely to join BJP.
Here is a look at his bio.
Master Degree (JNU New Delhi): History (Modern) from Center of Historical Studies (JNU) in 1981.
Graduation: NEHU Shillong from United Christian College in 1978.
His Professional Engagements
UPSC Exam: Passed Combined Civil Service (CSE) exam in 1988 and joined as Indian Railways Accounts Services (IRAS). Services in ascending chronological order are:
- Financial Advisor and Chief Accounts Officer (F&B): HQ Guwahati June 2015 till Apr. 2016. (Voluntarily retired).
- Financial Advisor and Chief Accounts Officer (WST): HQ Guwahati Apr.2009 till Jun. 2015
- Junior Accounts Officer (JAO): HQ Guwahati 1989-1991.
- Dy. Chief Accounts Officer (General): HQ Guwahati from Apr. 2004 till Mar. 2009.
- Dy. Financial Adviser and Chief Accounts Officer: Diesel Components Works at Patialia Punjab from Sept 2000 till Apr. 2004.
- Dy. Financial Adviser and Chief Accounts Officer (Construction): Jan 1996 to Sept 2000.
- Divisional Finance Manager (DFM): Tinsukia1992-1995.
- Passed Manipur Public Service Commission (MPSC) exam and served as Sub-Deputy Collector (SDC) from 1984 till 1989, posted in Lungchong Maiphai (stationed at Ukhrul)
- Alice Christian High School in 1982.
- Chandel Morning College in 1981-82.
- President : Tangkhul Naga Long (Tangkhul Naga Apex Body) from 2018 till now
- Chairman : Tangkhul Welfare Society Guwahati from July 2011 till Apr. 2016
- Founding Pioneer : Tangkhul Katamnao Long (Tangkhul Student Union) Guwahati 1996
- General Secretary : Tangkhul Katamnao Saklong (Tangkhul Student Union) 1983-1984
- General Secretary : Manipur Tribal Students’ Union, Delhi 1980-1981