Wrestler Bajrang Punia, the 27-year-old from Haryana in men’s freestyle 65 kg category beat Kazakhstan’s Daulet Niyazbekov 8-0 to take home another Bronze medal for team India on Saturday.
Bajrang Punia’s Bronze medal takes India’s medal tally to Sixth (4 Bronze and 2 Silver) in the ongoing Tokoyo Olympics 2020 already at par with India’s best-ever haul of Olympic medals at the London 2012 Olympics.
The six Tokyo Olympic medalist are
- Mirabai Chanu – Silver in Women’s Weightlifting 49 kg category.
- PV Sindhu – Bronze in Women’s Badminton.
- Lovina Borgohain – Bronze in Women’s Welterweight 69 kg category.
- India Men’s Hockey team – Bronze in defeating Germany 5-4.
- Ravi Kumar – Silver in Men’s Freestyle Wrestling 57 kg category.
- Bajrang Punia – Bronze in Men’s Freestyle Wrestling 65 kg category.
The President of India official twitter handle was quick to react and said, “A special moment for Indian wrestling! Congratulations to Bajrang Punia for winning the Bronze at #Tokyo2020. You have distinguished yourself as an outstanding wrestler with untiring efforts, consistency and tenacity over the years. Every Indian shares the joy of your success!”