Kangpokpi, September 22: The Committee on Tribal Unity (CoTU) has called off its proposed economic blockade on the Asian Highway 1 (AH1/NH2), which was to begin at midnight on September 22.
The blockade had been announced in protest against the recent attack on the 33 Assam Rifles at Nambol in Bishnupur district. But following assurances from the authorities and steps taken to address security concerns, the committee decided to withdraw the agitation.
In a meeting held today, CoTU said the decision was also influenced by appeals from civil society groups, especially considering the ongoing natural calamities along AH1/NH2. The committee noted the “swift initiatives” taken to restore normalcy and ensure accountability.
Also read Kangpokpi Police Arrest Suspect in Motbung Auto Driver Assault Case
CoTU committee said the withdrawal was made “in the larger interest of the public and to maintain peace in the region.”
The committee thanked the public for their support and urged the government to continue taking strong measures to prevent such incidents in the future.

