IMPHAL: Former Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh on Tuesday said union home minister Amit Shah had given a positive response to the demand for updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Manipur before the Census.
Speaking to reporters at Imphal Airport after returning from Delhi, Biren said he discussed the prevailing situation in Manipur with Shah and apprised him of the NRC demand raised by the people.
Also read JFD Calls Two-Day General Strike Across Manipur With Naga, Meitei Pangal Support
He said the demand for updating the NRC before the Census had been raised by various civil society organisations and the public, while the ongoing protests and bandh over the issue were also brought to the Union Home Minister’s attention.
According to Biren, Shah responded positively to the demand, expressing confidence that the NRC exercise would be carried out.
Biren also recalled that the Manipur government had approached the Centre in February 2023 regarding the NRC issue and that the matter was subsequently discussed in the Manipur Assembly in 2024.
Related JFD escalates anti-census stir, announces daily torch rallies and warns of DC office protests

