Senapati: In a suspected case of food poisoning, over 100 villagers, including children of Tungjoy and Tunggam village fell ill in Senapati district after a birthday feast on Tuesday.
The incident happened at Tungjoy village when the locals started complaining of vomiting, loose motion, high fever and body ache after attending a birthday party celebration of a boy.
A total of 70 patients were rushed to PHC Paomata while 40 others were rushed to PHSC Tungjoy, said Dr Th Pouziivei, MO, PHC Paomata.
Roughly around 110 patients were admitted at Paomata PHC and Tungjoy PHSC.
But the number of patients could be more because those who are not that serious decided to stay at home after taking medication by themselves, he said.
The doctor also informed that around 15 patients have been discharged after showing improvement. However, more locals continue to come in with similar symptoms even on the second day of the incident, he added.
“Reason leading to infection are not clear but we are suspecting to the ingredient used (fermented fish) in the chutney. Because those who do not consumed meat were also having the similar symptoms,” said the medical officer.
On Wednesday morning, a team of Food Safety Team, Senapati have done the food sampling and inspection at both the health centers and Tungjoy village for further investigation, it said.