Imphal: The World Meetei Council (WMC) in the interest of Manipur State has invited the attention of chief minister N Biren Singh in what they said is the “seriousness of the legal proceedings in respect of Manipur violence.” WMC said the Manipur State government needs to assist the three Member Committee vis-a-vis commission/Committee/SIT/Retd. IPS Officers appointed by (i) the Centre and (ii) the Supreme Court (SC).
WMC said that the Commission of Inquiry appointed by the central government and the Three Member Committee appointed by the SC, SIT appointed by the SC and retired IPS Officers appointed by the SC have been working as per the given parameters.
WMC pointed out that the Manipur State government needs to assist the Commission by submitting the relevant documents/records/information in time.
Given below are the pointers suggested by WMC to Manipur government.
(1) No. of people allegedly killed in the conflict including Meetei, Kuki and others.
(2) No. of villages destroyed in Churachandpur, Moreh, Kangpokpi, Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishnupur, Thoubal, Kakching etc. in the conflict as per the government records of villages. This is necessary because there are claims of fake villages being included in the list of affected villages, more so in view of the unnatural increase in the population of a concerned area or areas in light of the unchecked illegal immigrants coming into Manipur from Myanmar and Bangladesh.
(3) No. of houses burnt in all affected areas.
(4) No. of temples, churches and places of worships destroyed in Churachandpur, Moreh, Kangpokpi Imphal East, Imphal West, Bishnupur, Thoubal, Kakching etc. While making verification, the concerned authority has to take into account the fake number of churches and also distinguish between Meetei church and Kuki church.
Read more | Manipur Police recover arms and ammunitions
(5) Further, the concerned authority has to necessarily clarify from official record about the illegal villages and churches being settled and constructed respectively and which were removed by the State as per law. Moreover, it has also to be clarified from official record the number of illegal villages and churches removed by State as per law from the reserved and protected forest. This is to root out the fake and illegal villages and churches from the list submitted by one side or the other without any proof and verification.
Finally, one important point is while submitting the number of people killed in the conflict, the authority should be careful enough to point out the number of Indians and the number of Myanmarese. The identification/verification of citizenship can be done through govt. records, NRC etc. This shouldn’t be a problem.
Also Read | Let my people go
In the light of the Union Home Minister Amit Shah’s statement in the parliament, WMC added that doing this is very important.
WMC said it would like to draw the personal attention of the chief minister N Biren Singh to look into the matter so that the inquiry committee/commissions could come to genuine and meaningful conclusions.