Ukhrul: Around 6:20 PM on Wednesday evening as shops were winding up for the day, fire broke out from under the wooden base floor of No. 1 Photo Studio. Fortunately, the shopkeepers from the neighbouring mobile repairing shop saw the fire and alerted the residents.
Tension filled the air as strong stench of petrol smell erupted from the base floor. The residents in the area who were the first responders bravely came out in a very well drilled manner with buckets of water and in a few minutes, extinguished the fire. No report of injury and loss of property was reported as the fire was put out on time.
The fire was found to have been reportedly caused by petrol that was allegedly poured under the base floor of the Photo Studio as first hand evidence suggested. A lighter was found near the spot where the fire broke out and a bottle with traces of petrol in it was recovered in a nearby dustbin.
According to eye witness, around 2-3 men were seen fleeing away, towards the intersecting road as soon as the shopkeeper yelled and alerted the residents. However, their identities still remain unknown.
The Viewland Tang organization reported the incident to the police and lodged an FIR seeking immediate investigation and deployment of police personnel to prevent possible follow up attacks.
The police who have cordon off the area have asked public’s co-operation, to stay vigilant and to report any suspicious activities or suspects.
According to available report, Capt. Ashish Sharma, 27 Assam Rifles BCOY also have asked the residents for any assistance if the situation escalates.
At the time of filing this report, there is still no lead to the identity or intentions of the miscreants.