UKHRUL, NOVEMBER 14: In an alarming incident, 8 people have lost their lives— five from Kakichhuah village in Lawngatlai district and the other 3 fatalities were reported from 2 villages in Siaha district.
Lawngtlai senior Chief Medical officer Dr Lalmuanawma Jongte said gastroenteritis or the waterborne disease outbreak has been reported at Kakichhuah village since November 4 with 5 people dead and 27 others currently afflicted with it.
Also read Niketu Iralu Honoured with International Lifetime Achiever Award
He stated that the outbreak is suspected to be caused by people from Maynmar’s Salachhuah village, who visited Kakichhuah.
Siaha district Chief Medical Officer Dr Lalrengpuii Ralte said the outbreak has also been reported at two villages in the southern district since November 5, leaving three dead so far.
She also added that 14 people are currently infected with the disease at Lomasu village and 4 others at Lodaw village.
Villagers reported sudden cases of severe diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever. Medical teams were rushed to both districts on Tuesday (November 11) collecting samples from the water and infected people which was sent to Zoram Medical College&Hospital for testing.
According to Press Trust of India, officials said the three villages are located in close proximity with Myanmar, which facilitate easy cross-border movement.
The three villages are also currently housing a number of refugees from the neighbouring country, they said.
Also read ‘Very Clear About Our NDA Alliance’: Conrad Sangma on Northeast Unity Push
Lawngtlai district administration on Wednesday (November 12) declared Kakichhuah village as a containment zone, restricting movement of people in and out of the village for 2 months except for medical, election and emergency cases.

