PEC Expresses Concern Over Press Censorship in Myanmar

Published on

Real journalism holds the hills accountable.

Since 2020, Ukhrul Times has reported without fear or favour. Support us to keep going.

Contribute Now

GUWAHATI: The Geneva-based global media safety and rights body, Press Emblem Campaign (PEC) expresses concern over the continued press censorship in Myanmar as the military junta authorities have recently revoked licenses of three more independent news outlets.

The junta’s information ministry had lately restricted the publication of Myaelatt Athan, Red News Agency and Asia Citizens News Agency citing different sections of law.

Mentionable is that the south Asian nation of 55 million people witnessed a coup on 1 February 2021, when a democratically elected government of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was ousted by the then military chief Min Aung Hlaing. Since then, the junta revoked the licenses of nearly 20 independent Media outlets comprising Democratic Voice of Burma, Mizzima, Khit Thit Media, Myanmar Now, 7Day News, etc.

“Myanmar media fraternity continues to face atrocities from the military regime in Naypyitaw. No less than 200 working journalists were arrested in the last five years. According to the Independent Press Council of Myanmar, 18 among them are still behind the bars. We demand their immediate release and also the withdrawal of restrictions imposed on various media outlets,” said Blaise Lempen, president of PEC (https://www.pressemblem.ch/pec-news).

Latest articles

Baptist Leaders Meet UNC in Senapati, Urge Safe Release of Hostages

SENAPATI: Ten church leaders from major Baptist bodies namely Manipur Baptist Convention (MBC), Council...

GNF Voices Concern Over Fate of Remaining Six Naga Hostages

UKHRUL: The Global Naga Forum (GNF) on Tuesday appealed for the immediate release of...

Jan Bhagidaari Sabse Door, Sabse Pehle Campaign Launched in Chandel

CHANDEL: The District Administration Chandel has officially launched the Nationwide Information, Education and Communication (IEC)...

UNC Says Emerging Facts Contradict Allegations Against Nagas in May 13 Attack

IMPHAL, MAY 18: In connection with the "cold blooded murder" of three Thadou church...

More like this

‘Rebuild Our Homes’: GoM Accused of Inaction After May 7 Indo-Myanmar Border Attack

UKHRUL: Following the attack on Naga villages along the Indo-Myanmar border by suspected Myanmar-based...

NSCN-K (Niki) Calls for Concerted Effort to defend people and lands

UKHRUL: The National Socialist Council of Nagaland-K (Niki) has expressed concern about the loss of...

Naga Village Guard Denies Tangkhul Community Involvement in Molnoi Attack

UKHRUL: The Eastern Command of the Naga Village Guard (NVG) has denied any involvement...