24-Hour Bandh along NH-37 Imphal- Jiribam Road Affects Normal Life

Published on

Real journalism holds the hills accountable.

Since 2020, Ukhrul Times has reported without fear or favour. Support us to keep going.

Contribute Now

Noney: Normal life along NH-37 (Imphal-Jiribam Road) was badly affected in Noney and Tamenglong districts due to the 24-hours total bandh called  by the Affected Land Owners’ Committee, Longmai , Noney district. The bandh began from Thursday midnight and will end Friday midnight.

The bandh is called by the Affected Committee demanding fair compensation and re-assessment for the land acquisition which was acquired by the State government for construction and widening  NH-37 into double lane by National Highways and Infrastructure Development (NHIDCL). As per information in NHIDCL, the project is for  “Restoration & Rehabilitation of Imphal-Jiribam Road from Km 133.00 to Km 163.00 (Length: 30 Km) on NH-37 in the state of Manipur in the year 2021-2022 on EPC mode (2nd Call)”.

Bandh supporters blocked road and burnt tires in the middle of the road in many locations shouting slogans “We want fair compensation “, “Our land our rights”, “We demand re-assessment and re-surveys”, “No payment should be made without proper verification”, etc.

All types of vehicles movements were stopped along NH-37 and old Cachar road . No untoward incident occurred till the time of filling this report.

Noney and Tamenglong Districts

Speaking to the media on the ongoing bandh, the President of the Affected Land Owners’ Committee, Longmai, Wilson Kamei said informed that the committee had already sought several presentations to the State government to look into the matter and intervene for the fair compensation and rectify the old errors estimated amount before mere disbursement.He continued and said that there is a big difference and inappropriate estimation amount as compared to the actual affected  land and buildings and other vegetations.”If the concerned authority still remain as mere spectators rather than solving the genuine demand than stringent agitations and future course of action will be taken up with the help of the general public,” Wilson added.

It may be mentioned that government of India under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways had already sanctioned more than 400 crores for the payment of compensation to the affected families.

Latest articles

Senapati Administration Provides Relief Materials to 508 Stranded Vehicles Along NH-2

Senapati: Amid the ongoing bandh that has continued for nine days since 13 May...

Naga Students’ Union Mumbai Organises ‘Sports for Peace’ and Candlelight Prayer for Manipur

UKHRUL: A two-day community event, “Sports for Peace,” under the theme “United by Sport,...

Timor Leste Welcomes Investment in Agriculture, Education, Health and Petrochemicals 

NEW DELHI: The Embassy of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste celebrated the 24th Anniversary...

Kamjong Hq Working Committee Responds to Kuki Women Union Over ‘Incomplete Portrayal’

Ukhrul: The Kamjong Headquarters Working Committee has issued a rebuttal to the press release...

More like this

Rongmei Baptist Churches Council Appeals for Immediate Release of Hostages

UKHRUL: The Rongmei Baptist Churches Council has appealed for the immediate release of all hostages,...

6 Naga Hostages Case: UNC Seeks HM Amit Shah’s Urgent Intervention

UKHRUL: The United Naga Council (UNC) has sought the intervention of India’s Home Minister...

‘Release Naga Hostages Immediately’: Thousands Protest in Tamenglong 

TAMENGLONG/UKHRUL: In a record turnout, thousands of protestors gathered at the Lower Ground in Manipur's...