All illegal bunkers set up in Hills and Valley will be dismantled: CM N Biren

Published on

Real journalism holds the hills accountable.

Since 2020, Ukhrul Times has reported without fear or favour. Support us to keep going.

Contribute Now

Imphal, July 3: Chief minister N Biren Singh has stated that all bunkers illegally set up in both the hills and valley areas would be pulled down. Briefing media at the Chief Minister’s Secretariat on Monday evening, N Biren said the Indian army will lead the operation and will also be joined by paramilitary forces. He disclosed that a combined headquarters meeting was held earlier in the day and decisions were taken to implement some concrete steps.

Must read | Naga Hoho says no to imposition of Uniform Civil Code

The chief minister said posts for security forces would be set up on hilltops for better control of the prevailing situation and added that drone surveys would also be conducted round the clock, with a central monitoring headquarters to monitor the situation and for reinforcement if necessary. He said mass frisking will begin to nab people with illegal arms in both the hills and valley areas. He also appealed to the public to return the snatched arms and ammunition, before legal actions are taken up.

Also read | Ukhrul ADC Struggles To Find Garbage Dumping Site, Garbage Collection Nonfunctional For Months

Regarding the arrival of the monsoon and the need to carry out agricultural activities on time, N Biren said that around 2000 security personnel including Manipur Rifles and IRB had been mobilised for additional deployment at places adjoining the hill areas, where agricultural works are being taken up. He said the security personnel deployed would guard and prevent disturbances caused to farmers of both the communities by armed miscreants. He maintained that central forces had also been deployed in these places earlier.

Don’t miss this | 3 Meiteis, 1 Kuki-Zo Killed; 3 Churches, 29 Houses Of Kuki-Zo Village Torched In Fresh Conflict In Manipur

The chief minister further said the state government has decided to reopen schools from 5th July, 2023 for classes 1 to 8. While normal classes for classes 9 to 12 will begin once the construction of prefabricated houses is completed and the displaced people taking shelter at different relief camps are relocated. N Biren said the toll-free number 1800-309-0931 has been opened through which people may share grievances and ask for matters about relief requirements.

Opinion | Our Motherland Manipur is Lamenting with Pain and We, her Children Should Not Continue to Silently Spectate

The chief minister assured that the government would do nothing which could distort the integrity and administrative system of Manipur and would always work in the interest of the people. He then appreciated the role of the civil society organisations of different communities towards bringing peace and harmony in the state. He also appreciated the contribution of womenfolk towards saving the integrity of the state and towards restoring peace. N Biren also appreciated the decision to lift the blockade on National Highway-2.

Appealing to the public for further cooperation in the state government’s effort to restore peace and tranquillity in the state, N Biren Singh expressed the need to make a better state for future generations.

Also read | Extension of holiday worries parents and students of Kendriya Vidyalaya Ukhrul

Latest articles

Senapati Administration Provides Relief Materials to 508 Stranded Vehicles Along NH-2

Senapati: Amid the ongoing bandh that has continued for nine days since 13 May...

Naga Students’ Union Mumbai Organises ‘Sports for Peace’ and Candlelight Prayer for Manipur

UKHRUL: A two-day community event, “Sports for Peace,” under the theme “United by Sport,...

Timor Leste Welcomes Investment in Agriculture, Education, Health and Petrochemicals 

NEW DELHI: The Embassy of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste celebrated the 24th Anniversary...

Kamjong Hq Working Committee Responds to Kuki Women Union Over ‘Incomplete Portrayal’

Ukhrul: The Kamjong Headquarters Working Committee has issued a rebuttal to the press release...

More like this

6 Naga Hostages Case: UNC Seeks HM Amit Shah’s Urgent Intervention

UKHRUL: The United Naga Council (UNC) has sought the intervention of India’s Home Minister...

Four UNLF (P) Cadres Held, Huge Cache of Looted Arms Recovered in Manipur’s Lamshang

UKHRUL: Security forces launched several operations on Wednesday and Thursday based on credible information...

Tangkhul Villagers Seek IRB Deployment in Sinakeithei, Meet Chief Minister

IMPHAL: A delegation of Tangkhul Naga villagers from Sinakeithei in Ukhrul district on Tuesday...