Arbitrary and Violate Free Speech: PCI Expresses Concern Over Social Media Takedowns Orders

Published on

Real journalism holds the hills accountable.

Since 2020, Ukhrul Times has reported without fear or favour. Support us to keep going.

Contribute Now

UKHRUL: The Press Club of India (PCI) has expressed its concern over the recent spate of takedown orders issued across social media platforms targeting content critical of the government, where creators have been blocked or their material removed.

“Such executive actions amount to a denial of the fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression under Article 19(1)(a), as ruled by the Supreme Court in Shreya Singhal vs Union of India, where the court struck down vague provisions enabling arbitrary online censorship for lacking precise nexus to constitutional restrictions and creating a chilling effect,” PCI Managing Committee said in a statement.

Also Read | Press Club of India demands immediate withdrawal of FIR against EGI

It termed the move both arbitrary and violative of the Constitution.

It may be recalled that authorities have issued fresh takedown orders to Facebook and X (formerly Twitter), targeting fact-checker Mohammed Zubair and news outlets Molitics and National Dastak in the last few days.

Earlier, in March, the YouTube account of 4PM News had been blocked. More recently, on Facebook, pages of Molitics, National Dastak (with over 1.4 million followers), and satirist Rajeev Nigam were blocked in India following takedown requests under the IT Act, displaying notices that content was removed due to violations of Indian laws. 

On X, Zubair reportedly received notification that multiple posts were blocked nationwide per a Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) order under Section 69A, though the specific content wasn’t detailed.

Also Read | Press Club of India & Editors Guild condemns AltNews co-founder Muhammad Zubair’s arrest

“This wave of actions continues a pattern against critical voices, with National Dastak previously facing YouTube restrictions blamed on tax authorities,” it stated.

Strongly opposing these instances of blatant executive overreach, PCI demanded that the authorities respect citizens’ and journalists’ fundamental right to freedom of speech and expression enshrined in and protected by Article 19(1)(a) of the Indian Constitution. 

“The opacity in the process (with no reasons provided for the takedown requests) makes this online censorship both arbitrary and violative of the Constitution,” it added.

Latest articles

Chandel: Career Counselling cum Felicitation Program Held

CHANDEL May 23: Japhou Youth Club (JYC) organized a Career Counselling and Felicitation Programme...

NNC/FGN Says Attacks on Nagas Will Not Go Unanswered

UKHRUL, May 23: The NNC/FGN has condemned the recent violence in "Southern Nagaland," saying...

UBCC Manipur: ‘Let us not become weary in doing good’

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1)May 3,...

TYF Supports NVG-NC Ultimatum Amid Reports of Fresh Firing Incidents

UKHRUL: The Tahamzam Youth Forum (TYF) has reiterated its unequivocal support and solidarity with...

More like this

Kangpokpi: Massive Solidarity Protest Demands Release of 6 Naga Hostages

Kangpokpi: Hundreds gathered at Namdilong, Kanglatongbi, for a solidarity protest demanding the release of...

PM Modi’s Gift to Giorgia Meloni Highlights Manipur’s Rare Shirui Lily

UKHRUL: Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented curated gifts showcasing the intricacies of Indian art...

Timor Leste Welcomes Investment in Agriculture, Education, Health and Petrochemicals 

NEW DELHI: The Embassy of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste celebrated the 24th Anniversary...