Four Women Injured as JFD’s ‘No NRC, No Census’ Agitation Turns Violent in Imphal

Must Read

Moirangthem Nganbarel
Moirangthem Nganbarel
An Imphal-based journalist telling stories beyond the headlines with truth, context, and purpose.

IMPHAL, AUG 18: The Campaign for Just and Fair Delimitation (JFD)’s ongoing agitation demanding the updation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) before the Census intensified across Manipur on Tuesday, with protests and road blockades reported at several locations during the two-day general strike.

Four women were reportedly injured during a protest at the gate of the Deputy Commissioner, Imphal East complex in the afternoon, where JFD supporters attempted to stop an alleged Census-related training being conducted inside the premises. Earlier in the day, security forces fired tear gas to disperse protesters enforcing a road blockade at Kwakeithel, while one protester sustained an injury.

Also read Call for NRC Updation Intensifies in Chandel

The developments came as the JFD’s general strike, called in support of its “No NRC, No Census” campaign, entered its first day, affecting normal movement and commercial activities in several parts of the Imphal.

At the DC Imphal East complex, women from the Kongpal area gathered at the main gate and protested against the alleged Census-related training. Raising slogans of “No NRC, No Census,” the protesters reiterated the JFD’s demand that the NRC be updated before the Census exercise is conducted in Manipur.

According to information received, four women sustained injuries during the protest and were shifted to JNIMS Hospital for treatment. They were identified as Pramo Kshetrimayum and Pangambam Rojita, both residents of Kongpal Naoroibam Leikai, and Athokpam Bijeta and Laishram Sunita, both residents of Top Khongnang Makhong.

Earlier, at Kwakeithel bazar, a large number of people gathered from around 8 am and blocked the road as part of the general strike.

State police personnel initially attempted to clear the blockade, but protesters resisted efforts to restore normal traffic movement. At around 12.30 pm, a team of Assam Rifles arrived at the spot to assist in clearing the road.

Tension escalated as security personnel moved to disperse the protesters. Stones were reportedly hurled and objects were set on fire, following which security forces fired around five rounds of tear gas to disperse the crowd and clear the blockade.

During the confrontation, Khundrakpam Arnold sustained an injury after reportedly being hit on the head. He was taken to Asian Hospital, where he was administered first aid.

Speaking to reporters in the Lamphel area, Meira Paibi leader RK Tharaksana said the Meira Paibi community was extending support to the JFD’s “No NRC, No Census” campaign, maintaining that the demand was aimed at protecting the indigenous people of Manipur.

Also read | N Biren Singh Says Amit Shah Gives Positive Response to NRC Demand

She pointed out that thousands of people displaced since the crisis began in May 2023 were still living in relief camps, raising concerns over how they could be properly enumerated during the Census exercise.

Tharaksana further maintained that the Census exercise could be deferred in view of the prevailing situation, and urged the authorities to take into account the continued displacement of people and the circumstances arising out of the crisis.

The JFD has been spearheading an agitation across Manipur, demanding that the NRC be updated before the Census is conducted. The two-day general strike, which began on Tuesday, saw supporters enforcing the agitation at several locations across the state.

- Advertisement -spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -

Latest News

As We Mourn, Let Us Remember: Knowing Niketu Iralu Beyond the Eulogies

When news came from Delhi on August 18, 2026, that Niketu Iralu had passed away, condolences travelled rapidly across...
- Advertisement -

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -spot_img