Kamjong: Divisional Forest Officer, Kamjong Forest Division Forest Department, Manipur begun celebration of the 73rd Van Mahotsav 2022 at Sarkaphung village on Friday.
Sarkaphung (Sikibung) is a village in Phungyar Block under Kamjong district located 40 km to the South of Ukhrul headquarters.
3000 saplings varying from Lemon, Orange, Tree Bean (Yongchak), Chorphon (Olive), Uningthou, Leihao, Tairen, Heitup on Phungdhar (Phuthao), and other were planted across the area of approximately five hectares.
N. Sonzalian, IFS, Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forest urged all the participants to inculcate planting of trees as a continuous process as it would enhance oxygen levels and also help mitigate global climate change. He also added that the more greenery in the an area would mean more underground water.
Van Mahotsava 2022 is celebrated countrywide every year in the 1st week of July. Started in 1950 by K.M. Munshi, the Union Minister for Agriculture and Food, with the aim of creating mass awareness in the minds of people about the planting of trees and conservation of forests.
“I am grateful to the concerned department for coming to our village for tree plantation. We are blessed for the work they are doing,” said Headman Sikibung.
Planting of trees under Van Mahotsav 2022, the Forest Day in India from from July 1 till July 7 will be celebrated at Kasom Khullen, Phunyar, and Kamjong from July 5 till July 7.
Rang Peter, IAS district commissioner Kamjong; N. Sonzalian, IFS, Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forest; S.W Suisa, MFS DFO, Kamjong; Tezii, OC Litan; Wungreikan Kasar, Headman Sikibung led the planting of trees.
Here are some pieces of information and guidelines provided by the Forest Department, Government of Manipur in planting trees:
- Dig planting pits of size 1ft. x 1ft. x 1 ft. beforehand.
- Fill the pits with weathered soil mixed with fertile soils, and remove stones and other debris.
- Plant the tree saplings in it after removing the plastic bag and firm up the soil around the planted sapling.
- Provide protection to the plants by erecting bamboo or brushwood stakes or baskets.
- Carry out weeding around the plant to reduce competition for nutrients & light.
Enjoy the tree you planted as it grows
Tree species suitable for different sites:
- Homestead areas: Yongchak, Sandalwood, Agar Around Farm Bunds/areas- Theibong, Kadamb, Chingthrao, Gamari/Wang
- Around Fish ponds: Uyung, Arjun
- Around school and playgrounds: Jacaranda, Gulmohar, Neem
- On the bank of streams and rivers: Uyung, Arjun, Jamun
- On dry eroded vacant lands: Kekru, Acacia, Amaltas
- Along Roadsides: Gulmohar, Spathodea, Camphor/Karpur, Bokul
- Marshy/moist areas: Uyung, Arjun, Jamun, Bottlebrush/Barup Lei, Jarul