Drone Attacks on Naga Civilians: GNF Calls for Independent, Time-bound International Investigation

Published on

Real journalism holds the hills accountable.

Since 2020, Ukhrul Times has reported without fear or favour. Support us to keep going.

Contribute Now

UKHRUL: The Global Naga Forum (GNF) has reiterated its urgent and unequivocal appeal to the United Nations, relevant international human rights bodies, and the Government of Myanmar to take immediate and decisive action and initiate an independent and time-bound international investigation into the continued drone attacks on Naga civilians in the Naga Self-Administered Zone (NSAZ), Myanmar.

Condemning the continued extrajudicial drone strikes targeting civilian populations in the Naga Self-Administered Zone (NSAZ), Myanmar, allegedly carried out by the Indian Army, GNF stated that the drone attack on Khammaoi Village on April 6 reflected a disturbing pattern of indiscriminate force that endangers innocent lives and violates international humanitarian law and fundamental human rights.

“Although the recent strike resulted in the destruction of a thatched house and, fortunately, spared the lives of an elderly man and his grandchild who were inside, the deployment of three drone bombs in and around the same location reveals a clear intent to inflict harm and instill fear among civilians,” GNF said in a statement.

Also Read | GNF Submits Fact-Finding Report on Khammoi Drone Bombings

It also stated that the incident must be seen as an “escalation” of the devastating drone strike on Khammaoi Village in October last year. 

“That attack claimed the lives of a 27-year-old student and a 7-year-old child, while several others, including a 10-year-old boy sustained serious injuries,” GNF stated, adding that the recurring pattern of targeting unarmed civilians under the cover of darkness reflects a grave and unacceptable abuse of military power. 

Stating that it remains deeply alarmed by such continued attacks on Naga civilians within their ancestral lands, the GNF called for an immediate halt to all forms of violence, particularly the indiscriminate use of drone warfare against non-combatants.The GNF reiterated for the second time its urgent and unequivocal appeal to the United Nations, relevant international human rights bodies, and the Myanmar government to take immediate and decisive action by condemning such grave violations in the strongest terms. 

It demanded an independent and time-bound international investigation, ensuring full accountability of those responsible, and taking concrete measures to prevent any further attacks on innocent civilians, while upholding international law and safeguarding the fundamental rights, dignity, and security of the Naga people.

Also Read | ANSAM Condemns Drone Attack on Khammoi Village, Calls It ‘Crime Against Humanity

The GNF further reaffirmed its solidarity with the Naga people in Myanmar, particularly the residents of Khammaoi Village, in their demand for safety, justice, and the recognition of traditional authorities in safeguarding civilian life and ancestral Naga territories. 

Latest articles

Chandel: Career Counselling cum Felicitation Program Held

CHANDEL May 23: Japhou Youth Club (JYC) organized a Career Counselling and Felicitation Programme...

NNC/FGN Says Attacks on Nagas Will Not Go Unanswered

UKHRUL, May 23: The NNC/FGN has condemned the recent violence in "Southern Nagaland," saying...

UBCC Manipur: ‘Let us not become weary in doing good’

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1)May 3,...

TYF Supports NVG-NC Ultimatum Amid Reports of Fresh Firing Incidents

UKHRUL: The Tahamzam Youth Forum (TYF) has reiterated its unequivocal support and solidarity with...

More like this

NNC/FGN Says Attacks on Nagas Will Not Go Unanswered

UKHRUL, May 23: The NNC/FGN has condemned the recent violence in "Southern Nagaland," saying...

Kangpokpi: Massive Solidarity Protest Demands Release of 6 Naga Hostages

Kangpokpi: Hundreds gathered at Namdilong, Kanglatongbi, for a solidarity protest demanding the release of...

Nagabazar Sub-Centre Inaugurated in Kohima to Strengthen Grassroots Healthcare

KOHIMA: The newly upgraded Nagabazar Sub-Centre was inaugurated on Wednesday by N. Leamnyei Konyak...